Monday, April 20, 2009

Bad Moon Rising: News Schemedia



I see a Bad Moon rising over America! I am not sure where I was that I did not see what happened to commentator John Zieglar when he was handcuffed by security at the USC Annenburg School of Journalism until I saw it on an internet video today. Oh my goodness America! Bill of Rights: First Amendment!! Establishment Clause, Free Exercise Clause; Freedom of speech,OF THE PRESS, Freedom of Religion, and OF ASSEMBLY; right to petition.

Oh, I know where I was, exercising my "freedom of assembly" with tens of thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands) of other peaceful Americans of all color and party affiliation or lack of on 4-15-2009. The "news" media, if you want to call it that all but completely dismissed fellow Americans coming together to say we want fiscal responsiblity from our Federal Government. How does the media call itself responsible news when it is prone to dismiss fellow Americans like that? Even worse, our President barely gave it notice and "we, the people" are his boss according to the Constitution. He should be listening with all ears. This should have been an avenue for conversation between the President, congress and the people. But no one of "importance" is listening and our rights are treated as so much folly.

But let's get back to poor John Zieglar, a legitimate documentary filmmaker who was standing outside of, on public property, Annenburg School of Journalism (that's right...journalism) He was asking questions, oh the horror of investigative reporting, of why people wanted to attend this event that honored Katie Couric for her "biased" reporting of Sarah Palin. He was on public property,did I mention that? He was intending to pass out free documentaries of his film about the unfairness of the mainstream media as well when...drum roll please...he was handcuffed for reporting a media event. Please refer to the First Amendment. He was not haranguing anyone nor protesting or causing a scene. He was reporting.

So let's recap very briefly but very importantly two events on the same day that were either dismissed or punished by the mainstream media. (By the way, please hold your comments until you have actually viewed the video of John Zieglar being handcuffed)

First event: National Tea Party attended by American taxpaying citizens all over the nation in peaceful protest.
Second event: Filmmaker, who was not breaking any laws, but covering an event as a reporter is apt to do, and handcuffed with the threat of arrest because obviously he was, oh no, say it isn't so, QUESTIONING people as they walked by.

I am with fellow writer, Natalie; call me whatever you want, a right wing nut or zealot of something just as uncreative. Profanity is not necessary. I will only say, "thank you." I hope I will be joining thousands of other Americans who stand with John and the First Amendment.

No comments:

Post a Comment